CSRidentity
 
 
 
 
 
 
Any individual or organisation can sponsor this district. We can change the above banner design for them (Size will be 1004 x 104 px). Contact Datacentre
Jharsuguda District

Current Time in New Delhi

District site map

District celebrities
Identity of the district
Social issues in the district
Sponsor information
Communicate Datcentre
You are important
You are just 1 person and there are 7.6 billion persons in this world. But YOU have a definite role
Poverty is important
Please lift at least one person from below the poverty line to above the poverty line in your life or registered WILL 
Bhau made us realise : Vishwachi Maze Ghar
28.08.2013
SHOPPING MALL
28.08.2013 as black day for us, but good for all the countries & universe
 
See NGOs where you can SHOP and not just help the NGO but its benefitieries
Brand enhancement
Ashoka Fellow
Collector
MP
 
If you want your name on the district index page, click here.
About the Jharsuguda district

Click on the following link to download district statistics as per NITI Ayog website
http://niti.gov.in/file/732/download?token=kaAVdL1L

Brief About Jharsuguda District
Jharsuguda District is situated in western part of Orissa at 21° 82’ N and 84° 1’ E coordinates. Jharsuguda is rich in mineral wealth, especially coal and it is one of the most industrialised and urbanised districts in the state. It is well connected with all parts of the country by rail and road and also has an airport set up during world war II.

It has an area of 2203.32 sq.kms. During the re-organisation of the Garhajat States in 1936 under the British, Jharsuguda formed a part of Sambalpur district. The new district of Jharsuguda came into existence on 1st April, 1994 and was created by amalgamation of the erstwhile Jamindars of Rampur, Kolabira, Padampur & Kudabaga; Jharsuguda Town is the head quarters of the new district.

Sex Ratio : 946 (Rural 975, Urban 898)
Sex Ratio in Orissa : 972 (Rural 986, Urban 895)

Geographical Area : 2,98,886 Hect.
Forest Area : 26,917 Hect.

Geographical Location
Jharsuguda town is situated at the Western end of Orissa on the State High way No. 10. It is situated at a distance of 515 K.M. from Calcutta and 616 Km. from Nagpur. The river ‘IB’ flows along the Western side of Jharsuguda town and the river ‘Vheden’ flows in the south. The area of the town is 70.47 sq.km. The town situated at 21o.82’ north longitude and 84o.1’ latitude at a height of 700-750 feet above mean sea level. The highest temperature recorded in summer is 46.7o . Centigrade and it has an average rain fall of 1527 mm.

Padmasini Temple of Padampur
At a distance of 70 Kms. from Jharsuguda, there is Hirakud reservoir on the left side of village Bhikampali.  Just at the point where the river Mahanadi leaves the than Madhya predesh and enters Orissa to pour in to the Hirakud reservoir, there was once a town called as "Padampur".  The famous Sanskrit dramatist “Bhabahbhoti” was believed to be born here. Moreover, it is said that “Bajrajan’ Tantra marg of Buddhism took origin here.

Goddess Padmasini is the reigning deity of this town. The temple of “Padmashini’ was constructed in 7th century A.D. by a Chalukya king of South.  However the original temple had met decay and was believed to be reconstructed by the Chouhan king in 16th century. In the whole Orissa Padmasini Temple is a unique example of Chalukya art and architecture.  In 1956 Padampur town was submerged in Hirakud reservoir, but the deity has been shifted to a new temple at nearby ‘Pujaripali’.

Ruins of Hill Forts of Ulapgarh
On the Jharsuguda-Belpahar Road at a distance of 21 Kms. from Jharsuguda there is a village known as Lajkura.  In the vicinity there is a hill known as “Maheswar Pahad” where the remains of an old holy fort attracts the attention of historians, researchers and tourists.

On the foot of Maheswar Pahad, there is small village called “Ulap”. About one kilometer from the village, the ruins of Ulapgarh are situated. At this place, the Maheswar pahad is about 1000 ft high and on the top there is a huge plain surface.  On this rectangular plain stone surface the fort of Ulapgarh had been constructed.   The plain stone fine surface is about 400 metre long and 250 metre wide.  On the eastern side of the fort there are almost about 7 kms. Of densely forested Baramunda Hills and on the Western side, the Belpahar Railway Station is located at a distance of 5 kms. On the north there is a dense forest stretching up to Hemgir and in the South stretching up to Badjob village.

About 1000 people could take shelter at Ulapgarh at a time. On the western side of Ulapgarh and down hill there is Ushakothi cave. 

It is believed that Ulapgarh was being used as a residential fort by some kings of “Naja” Dynasty. Research is going on by various Indian and Foreign researchers and Historian in this direction.

Rock Painting and Lithography of Bikramkhol
On the Jharsuguda-Lakhanpur Road at about 25km. from Jharsuguda there is a village known as Banjari.  In the vicinity of the village the ancient cave of Bikramkhol is located. There are some ancient script engraved in the wall of Bikramkhol and also paintings of animals. Circular holes have been dug in the wall where weapons, dress and other articles of use were being kept suspended. Bikramkhol has been declared a tourist spot by the Central Government and tourists, historians and researchers from all over the country and abroad.

Koilighughar  water fall (Lakhanpur)
The Koilighugar water fall is situated 55 kilometer away from Jharsuguda in the Lakhanpur block near the village Kushmelbahal.  A rivulet named ‘Ahiraj’ takes origin from the ‘Chhuikhanch’ forest and while flowing through its rocky belt falls from a height of 200 ft. creating the water fall of Koilighugar.  After the fall the rivulet flows west wards to merge into the river ‘Mahanadi’. It is a picturesque beauty spot with its sylvan back drop.
Inside the fall there is a Shivalingam known as ‘Maheswarnath’. There is an “Ashram’ of a holy man “Saham swami’ near the water fall. Every year a fair sits in Kalighugar on the occasion of Sivaratri.

Ramchandi: An ancient Shaktipitha
This important place of ‘Shakti Worship’ is located 10 km. away from Jharsuguda town inside a cave.
From the remote past Davi Ramchandi is being worshiped as the reigning deity of Rampur region.  The Shrine is famous not only on the Rampur area but throughout the western Orissa. Many pilgrims and devotees come to the Rampur cave from far and near to visit and worship the goddess Ramchandi.

Shiva Shrine of Mahadebpali
As the history of local area is clearly linked with this temple it is considered to be one of the Astaswayambhus of Jharsuguda district. Every year fair takes place here on the day of Sivaratri.

Historical Kolabira Fort
This fort is situated at a distance of 17 kms. From the Jharsuguda town on the bank of river ‘Telen’.

Shree Pahadeswar Temple, Jharsuguda is situated at the top of a small hill on the eastern side of Jharsuguda and is another place of attraction in the District.
On the South East direction of Jharsuguda and on the bank of river Bhaden there is an ancient Sivashrine’ at Mahadebpali.

India