CSRidentity
 
Any individual or organisation can sponsor this district. We can change the above banner design for them (Size will be 1004 x 104 px). Contact Datacentre
About Nadia district
Untitled Document
District visibility
Corporates



Individuals




Political personnel



Any communication
Mail seminars, conf, webcasts ... to Datcentre

 

 

Click on the following link to download district statistics as per NITI Ayog website
http://niti.gov.in/file/442/download?token=qmlHY_rF

Brief About Nadia District

Tourist Places
Nabadwip lies on the western side of the river Bhagirathi at a distance of about 20 K.M. from Krishnagar and it is associated with birth of Lord Sri. Chaitanya and the advent of the Vaishnab religion in Bengal. Sri. Chaitanya was not only a religious leader preaching Vaishnab ideas and Bhakti cult but also a social reformer in the 16th Century. Nabadwip was the capital of Lakshman Sena, the famous ruler of Sena dynasty, who ruled from 1179 to 1203. There are a number of temples and pilgrimage centres. Dwadas Shib Mandir built in 1835 with the exquisite floral designs attracts a large number of pilgrims. The images and idols of Lord Sri. Chaitanaya in a few other places are also regarded with reverence.

Places of Tourist accommodation...

  • Guest House of Nabadwip Municipality at Nabadwip
  • Irrigation Bunglow at Swarupgunj opposite Nabadwip across the river Bhagirathi
  • ISKCON Guest House at Mayapur opposite Nabadwip across the river Bhagirathi
  • Boarding house of Chatayan Gauduya Misson, Mayapur
  • Guest House of Nabadwip Panchayat Samiti, Mayapur
  • A few private hotels

Mayapur is situated on the opposite of Nabadwip across the river Bhagirathi. Some Schools of thought claim this place to be the actual birth place of Lord Sri Chaitanya

The ISKCON temple of A.C.Bhaktivedanta, the Saraswat Adwaita Math and the Chaitanya Gaudiya Math are the important temples at Mayapur. During Holi (DOL) festival Rashyatra Mayapur presents itself as a center of harmony, amity, fraternity and festivity.

Shantipur had been a seat of Sanskrit learning and literature, Vedic texts and scriptures since ninth century. It is located in the Ranaghat Sub-division of the district and is about 18 K.M. away from Krishnagar. The Topkhana Mosque was built by Fauzder Gazi Mohammad Yaar Khan in 1703 – 1704 during the reign of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. This mosque consists of a big dome and eight minars.

The Shayam Chand Temple built in traditional "Aatchala" manner, the Jaleswar Temple with its exquisite terracotta designs and the Adwaita Prabhu Temple are the noteworthy temples of Shantipur. The weavers of Shantipur have made themselves famous throughout India by their professional aptitude in making "Tant Saree". Fulia a township very close to Shantipur, is the birth place of Poet Krittibas, composer of Bangla Ramayan

Palashi is a place of great historical interest. It is situated at a distance of about 50 K.M. from Krishnanagar. The famous Battle of Plassey was fought here on 23rd June, 1757 between the last independent ruler of Bengal, Nawab Siraj Ud-Daula (1756-1757) and the British forces under the command of Lord Clive.

This battle marked the advent of the British rule in the erstwhile Bengal and in India as a whole. A memorial stone to mark the victory of the British was erected here in 1883. The structure which stands even today was built at a later period of Lord Curzon.

Ballal Dhip i is located near Bamanpukur Bazar on way to Mayapur at a distance of about 25 K.M. from Krishnanagar. The excavation work was started here by the Archaeological Survey of India in the early 1980s, It revealed a unique structural complex covering nearly 13,000 Sq. meters. Centering around a mound (Dhipi) having a height of 9 metres.


This complex identifies itself with the Vikramsila Vihar. Experts say that this side of Stupa (Vihar) of eighth / ninth century was perhaps a seat of learning and pilgrimage up to the eleventh century.

Shivaniwas is located within Krishnaganj Block in the Sadar Sub-Division and is about 26 K.M. away from Krishnanagar. Predicting an attack from the Bargis and Marathi raiders, Raja Krishna Chandra Rai (1728 – 1782) temporarily shifted his capital from Krishnanagar to this place. The Raj Rajeswar Temple, named after Lord Shiva, was build by him in 1754. The Shivalinga enshrined in this temple is said to be the largest in Asia.


The Ragniswar temple and the Ram-Sita temple built in 1762 form a composite structure alongside Raj Rajeswari Temple, locally known as Buro-Shib Mandir. The architecture of this temple bears Gothic influence.

Krishnanagar is the district headquarters situated on the bank of river Jalangi. Krishnanagar is named after Raja Krishna Chandra Rai (1728 – 1782). The Rajbari built here during the reign of Raja Krishna Chandra Rai is a prominent place of tourist attraction though the remnants of the past glory have been eroded and only a dilapidated structure of the exquisite places with carving on its inner walls exists today.

Krishnanagar was the birth place of the noted Poet, Composer and Playwright Shri. Dwijendra Lal Roy (1863 – 1913) whose contribution to Bengali Literature needs no mention. The Christian Missionaries attached much importance to Krishnanagar. The Protestant Church was built here during 1840s . The Roman Catholic Cathedral was built in 1898. The origin of famous clay models of Krishnanagar is


Ghurni. The clay model artists of Ghurni have won international repute and fame for their excellence in clay modelling.

A forest covering about 67 Hectares is located at Bethuadahari which is situated at a distance of about 22 K.M. from Krishnanagar. This forest is actually an extended Deer Park. The forest was established in 1980 to preserve the bio-diversity of the central Gangetic alluvial zone. A census of 1998 reveals a population of 295 deer in this forest and other wild life includes Python, Jungle Cat, Porcupine, Monitor Lizard, Snake and a variety of birds (around 50 species)

Prospective Tourist Spots

Bahadurpur forest situated by the side of N.H.-34 in Krishnanagar-II Block has been chosen as a prospective spot for Jungle Safari

Hasadanga Beel adjacent to Bahadurpur Forest is a vast waterbody which can be transformed into a Water Sports Complex. This Beel has the potential to be developed as a safe haven for the seasonal migratory birds

Mangaldwip Char which has emerged at the confluence of the Bhagirathi and the Churni in Ranaghat-I Block is another spot likely to be developed as a Tourist Transit Point-Cum-Resort along the river cruise to Murshidabad

Agriculrure

Nadia remains evergreen with seasonal field crops throughout the year for its plenty of underground water and soil type (new alluvium). Almost all the important crops are profitably grown in this district the economy of which depends mainly on agriculture. Farmers of this district are progressive in mind to adopt new technology for development of agriculture.

Net cropped area is 2,72,135 hectares. However, cropped area is decreasing slowly owing to necessity of conversion of agricultural land for construction of dwelling houses thereon. In spite of the high rate of growth of population, there has been no deficit of food grains in the district during the last three decades.

While the food grains (i.e. rice, wheat, pulses and oilseeds) production was 5,13,540 M.T. in 1976-77, in rose to 9,42,601 M.T. in 2000-01. It is worth mentioning here that the area under cultivation of oilseeds went up remarkably from 16,794 hectares in 1976-77 to 1,08,913 hectares in 2000-01 and the production increased from 9,328 M.T. in 1976-77 to 99,989 M.T. in 2000-01. This success is due to the introduction of H.Y.V. seeds of mustard, groundnut etc. and application of the improved technology of crop management and pest management.

Vegetables production has recorded a very high growth over the years. While the Vegetables production was 1,20,000 M.T. in 1976-77, in came to 12,50,182 M.T. in 2000-01.

Jute is another crop the production of which almost trebled during the period from 1976-77 to 2000-01. Jute production increased from 6,23,366 bales in 1976-77 to 17,02,760 bales in 2000-01. The curve of productivity in agriculture is upward in respect of most of the crops

Irrigation

Irrigation sources have been created in the district under the minor and small irrigation project. Irrigation potentialities
have increased significantly over the years. 30.37% of the total agricultural land was irrigated in 1976-77. In 2000-01 the total agricultural land that had irrigation facilities rose to 78.10 %. The number of deep tube wells has increased from 531 in 1976-77 to 664 in 2000-01. There were only 15,700 shallow tube wells in 1976-77 and their count rose to 64,637 by 2000-01

Although significant exploitation of water resources has already been made in the district there still  remains exploitable water resources, both surface and ground. The Landform of the district does not support creation of surface water reservoirs.

Installation of 20 Heavy Duty Tubewells (HDTW) has been taken up and it will create an additional irrigation potential of 800 hectares. The installation work of 300 Light Duty Tubewells (LDTW) in clusters has also been taken up and this would cater to the needs for an additional 1,200 hectares. Moreover, 6 diesel-operated major River Lift Irrigation(RLI) schemes will be implemented very soon for creation of additional irrigation potentiality of 480 hectares

If you want to share any information, do mail Datacentre

Global example : Thane district in India
Click here

NGO visibility
NGOs

 

 

 

 

 

 


 
CSRidentity.com exists in present form thanks to Bhau